Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Theory and Practice of Mind Games

by Paul Nachbar

Who on Earth invented mind games?
None of us will ever know;
Who on Earth will play the last games?
Hope its me, not my friend Joe.

Some folks say they detest mind games
Here I say 'what can you do?
All of us have played our mind games
As they did to me and you"

Really I did not invent them
Did not create much that's new:
Maybe people need their mind games?
Though they often make us blue.

I get flustered with some mind games
Ideas laid on broad and thick
Some of them somewhat convincing
But most sort of makes me sick.

Am I innocent of mind games?
That would be a lovely claim
How dramatic! No more mind games!
"Aren't we grateful that you came!'

"Yes you have cleared up all confusion!"
Cries some voice amidst the rest
Though all things add New Confusion
Make more 'complex" every Test.

"Sincere" poets cry out "Mind games!"
And some sincere preachers too:
Then one finds they are MOST guilty:
What on Earth is truly ever new?

Sometimes I guess I fall for mind games
Clear and simple logic rarely helps:
Beneath complexities of mind games
I sense a few related yelps.

The troubles here with all such social mind games:
The character of all those keeping score
All half corrupt or half insane at all times
Which is why I rarely ask for "more"

They really want to prove stuff with their mind games
Which most relates to food or who's "on top":
Or who gets all the love or sex or money
So useless that I wish these games would stop!

Of course they cry out "Truth' in all their mind games
Get angry here both for and against "God":
Beware you linger too close to their mind games
They'll call you dunce or heretic or 'odd'.

Sometimes I guess I also play some mind games
And here I am a little bit ashamed:
Mostly an odd man out among THEIR mind games
Who's sometimes "loved" but mostly just gets blamed.

Where will all the mind games take us>?
Really I don't care to know:
Is the future better for it?
In the shower I must go.

Streaming water on one's body
And soap bubbles in one's hair
Singing some atonal lovesong
Now for games I just don't care. .

Sometimes best to be quite silent
Sometimes best to really talk
Now is time for some relaxing
And I'll let the others squawk.


No comments: