Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Friend

by Sonja Aiken Struthers

morning

he surprises me, anew, every morning
he pulls me into consciousness
thief! he steals the warmth from the morning sun
thief! he steals the light from my eyes in the mirror
my protector, he soothes me
do not worry my dear; you will not feel today
i am grateful

day

he is a kind and thoughtful friend
my constant companion, he comforts me
do not worry my dear; someday you will not need me
you will learn not to feel on your own
i am not hungry
he spoons ashes into my mouth
i am grateful

night

i can no longer stay awake
he is here
brushing the tears from my face
caressing my cheek
wrapping me in his frozen embrace and whispering in my ear
do not worry my dear; i will stay until you fall asleep
i am grateful

my friend, my grief



Sonja Struthers
©October 2009
The Word Works/Sage Press


No comments: