Thursday, September 07, 2006

VCR Cars

by Karyn Huntting Peters

Alrighty then. So, I'm just back from five days in Scottsdale. I turned in my mini-van at the Portland International Airport and boarded a plane headed for hell. Oh no, wait. Hell is only 109. Scottsdale was 110.

So, I get to the rental place in Phoenix and guess what I get there? A freaking Daewoo. Daewoo, you ask? Daewoo?

Yeah. That's what I said.

Daewoo?

Yeah, Daewoo, says the guy.

What, like you want me to drive a cheap-ass VCR around Scottsdale?

No, says the guy. They make cars.

You're kidding.

No, really. They make cars.

You mean cheap-ass cars.

Well, yeah. Cheap-ass cars.

And you rent them.

Well, yeah.

And I get to drive one.

Well, yeah.

You guys have roadside assistance with this rental?

Umm, nope.

Nevermind. Probably cheaper just to buy another one than fix one anyway.



So, the midlife crisis continues. From minivan to VCR-car.

Woohoo!

More to come. I have to unpack. And you know what, Mel? When I saw that Daewoo thing, I actually almost said, "Woohoo, I was hoping for a minivan!"

Just shoot me now.









No comments: