Saturday, September 02, 2006

Killer (for Poe)

by Nathan Hays

Ah, thank you my friend for coming on such short notice. Yes, it is urgent business but I must start at the beginning so you will not think me crazy like the others. Please sit for a moment and have some tea while I relate to you my recent experiences.

You see, there's been a murder in our town just last month. A young woman was found discarded on the side of the road, her neck slashed. Yes, it was horrible crime and we are all in a somber mood. It has the police quite perplexed because they have no leads on who the killer is. I wasn't going to get involved - with the medium stuff and all - but I've had such bad dreams. Until this is solved, I don't think I'm going to sleep well ever again.

If you remember, the last time I tried to help was when we had that ugly spate of dead animals that were showing up all over town. I spent a good deal of time searching for the subtle cues that hang in the air after a violent crime. My efforts weren't exactly rewarded though. The police got it all screwed up and thought I might be the slasher! Just because I have special sensitivities and can intuitively piece together a viable description of events, they thought I must've had something to do with it. Seems I knew details I shouldn't have but see, there's the proof of my talents. They had no substance to their suspicions and after a while they got off my back. They still haven't found the real perpetrator.

And so it was with a good deal of trepidation that I began hanging around the crime scene. I never ask questions and try not to listen to the gossip. All those words can fool us into thinking we are on to something and lead us astray. Instead, I just sat there on the side of the road and tried to conjure a vision of her falling from the car. Suddenly, an image of extreme violence flashed into my mind. Her neck had been cut as she was pushed out, presumably to avoid blood in the car. The image was too much for me to bear and it took a several days before I could muster the strength to return.

I went back several times and each time the picture became clearer and clearer. Soon I gained some insight into the killer's mind, the thoughts he had leading up to her death. He had forcefully suggested she get into his car. He wasn't being violent or anything, he was just impatient with her skeptical demeanor. Surely she would see that he was really a nice person and like him, but she wouldn't succumb to his advances. She started screaming absurdities about being kidnapped and that enraged him. He felt he had no choice, that she would ruin his life if her crazy reaction were spread all over town. His blind rage over her attempt to destroy him was what led him to kill her. How sad he was over the waste as he sped away! I can feel his grief even now. This is the point where the images become incoherent. There is however one more engram which I will relate in a moment.

I know there is no logical way I could know this, but it is all too real for me to shove it aside as a sober man of science would. There are many things on this earth that science has no inkling of let alone explanations for. My problem is that the police can be so ignorant of these possibilities. If they can trust the techniques of a DNA machine that they know nothing of, why can't they trust my abilities? I am close to discovering the identity of the killer, but I fear they will not believe me and my life will be in grave danger.

This is why I have asked for your help. You can go to the police where I cannot. I would go to them directly, but given our last encounter, they will not see or hear clearly. You can say that you overheard all this on a bus or something but could not see the face of the one talking. They can do with the information what they want, but you will not be involved beyond your tip. I want this killer to be found. Will you do this for me? Good. I knew I could trust you.

There is the last clue that I have mentioned. This is the key to the identity of the killer as it concerns a bloodstain which surely they can trace. The last image I have is of the killer removing his shirt and throwing it away. I found that shirt in the trash can behind the theater. See! I told you my techniques were powerful! The garbage men have not come yet, so if they hurry, the police will have their best clue yet.

Go my friend and may God's will be with you and all of us.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psycho!