Monday, June 05, 2006

to you

by Karyn Huntting Peters

to you

who kindly smirk as my tears stream onto the
phone and say sorry i will offer no comfort in this hour,
i answer with a simple fine and shake my head…

to you

who feel i should not have cared and say
i asked for it, that i asked for this pain, i say that’s
not very kind while i look blankly out the window…

to you

who answer my admission of hurt, my saying that i
so much need to hear a friendly voice in this moment,
and the telltale sound of a woman’s crying, with a
monotone i-don’t-feel-like-talking-anymore,
i say and all these years i thought we were really friends…

and to you

who must have heard the sound of tears falling
hundreds of miles away as you hung up the receiver,
i say if this is grace,

grace me no more.




No comments: