Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sonnet III: The Muse

by Karyn Huntting Peters



Return to me o muse in dreams redeem thy course
By sleep the dust of stars doth carry thy embrace.
In raging tears of angst doth thou with no remorse
Full baptize hand of mine and bathe my pen in grace.

Thine eyes ensconce long-darkened tomb in golden light,
Illumineth thy sweet advance my most demure.
Disquietude thou dissipate by veil of night,
Thy softly-whispered words my mortal fears abjure.

And offer thou apothecary’s potion nigh
That i should drink with certain hand and toast to thee.
To winged flight ascend thy poesy or die,
In death as life to lie beneath the judas tree.

From dusty headstones hearts are lifted from their strife,
From ashes rise unbound to soul’s immortal life.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very nicely done sonnet, perfectly Shakespearean in form, excellent meter. Very good subject matter. I really like the double meanings of the words (entendres), as in "to lie" (three meanings I got with that one!) and "judas tree" (most people wouldn't pick up on the meanings of that, I am thinking). Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite of all three sonnets here. I also like the newly added graphics. Classic form and meter (which Shakespeare himself did not always follow, of course; the defined Shakespearean sonnet has become stricter as time has gone on!). It reads with perfect stress and rhythm. The subject matter and twists, as well as the use of the language, follows in the classic tradition.

Anonymous said...

I like this the most of the sonnets that are in this series. Where do you get this stuff from, anyway? Does it just pop into your mind from nowhere or do you have to sit and think about it for hours and edit over and over?